I recently upgraded a few projects to Rails v.1.2 and had a couple of issues arise.
Disappearing objects when dropped using drag and drop in Safari
For one project I use the drag and drop re-ordering provided by the Scriptaculous
library. Not sure what did it, possibly even a Safari update, but only
in Safari, once you let go of a dragged object, that object would
disappear. It would come back when you refreshed the page and would
have successfully triggered its intended action.
the upgrade to v1.2.2 since I wasn’t aware of any changes. I think the
release of Scriptaculous on its actual site is newer (v1.7 right now)
than that included in Rails so I updated my scripts and that solved the
Model attributes not in the database were inaccessible
wasn’t able to figure this one out, but was able to get around it. I
have a model which has some methods to send/receive messages to a
device. I had a
which is an attribute
that’s not in the database. It was simple a place to temporarily store
the full message of the last response for use later on in the code.
After the upgrade to v1.2.1 things were fine. However after updating to
v.1.2.2, I started getting “Method not defined” errors. It seems like
other people have hit this one, too.
My solution was simply to remove the property and change it to @last_response which worked for my limited use of it.
still scratching my head though, since similar attributes work fine in
other classes. The problem class, however, is unique in that instead of
having ActiveRecord:Base as its parent, the actual parent is a generic
class whose parent is ActiveRecord:Base.
couldn’t wait so I got all the bits and pieces for a new gaming PC and
they all arrived the end of last week. It actually went together
quicker than I thought it would, so I was left trying to decide if I
wanted XP or Vista on it. Considering I have an MSDN subscription with Microsoft and have licenses for Vista already, I decided to download the latest ISO images and install the Home Premium version.
It seems fine now, but here are some of the issues I’ve run into:
Vista would not install on an unformatted disk
kept getting an exception error when the installer was trying to load.
Some research indicated that a lot of people have run into the same
thing. In some cases it was a bad DVD or CD
burn, but in others, the solution was to run through the Windows XP
install far enough to format the hard drive. So after doing a base
install of XP Home, I booted up with the Vista DVD I created and the installation process went through.
drivers for Vista are still in beta, so I had to download those to get
the full benefits of my new graphics card. It’s unknown whether or not
the drivers will be out of beta when Vista hits the stores. I have seen
what I’ll call weird video events when the screen switches modes for
games and sometimes when launching apps, so it’s not quite finished
Uggghhh. I’m already tired of
getting asked to Deny/Allow any little thing that happens. I can
understand it from a security standpoint, but having experienced
similar permission prompts on Mac and Linux, Vista’s prompts seem
World of Warcraft Updates
I’ve been able
to install a few games, Doom 3, Half-Life 2 Eps. 1 and World of
Warcraft. All are working great. However, I did run into one issue
patching World of Warcraft, but was able to quickly find a solution on
their forums. One of the patches (not all of them) would bomb out at
the end and not get applied. It made a change to the Start Menu links
for the game which Vista did not like and since Vista didn’t prompt me
to allow it, the patch would not install. The solution was to manually
apply the patch by right clicking the patch executable and selecting
“Run as administrator”.
seems to be fine but I’m not doing anything but playing games so far.
This won’t be a development machine, but I can at least use it for IE7
testing since I still want to keep IE6 on my work notebook as long as
possible for easier testing.
Microsoft has finally released Internet Explorer version 7
and while I’ve downloaded it, I’m not quite ready to go there. I
suppose for now I’ll wait until my automatic update tells me I should.
I’ve read about toolbars not working and sites that use Ajax are slow.
While I do think it’s strange that IE7 executes things slower than IE6,
these aren’t really the issues that are preventing me from moving my
IE7 install from a virtual machine over my primary IE6 install.
Here are my personal reasons for holding off
I use FireFox. Aside from development, I haven’t used IE as my primary browser in years. I use IE strictly for developing websites.
IE6 is not going away very soon and will continue to be more of a headache than IE7. IE7’s implementation of CSS
has proved to be close enough to FireFox/Safari/Opera that I know I
won’t spend much time on it. I’ll spend my time making things work in
IE6. It’s just plain easier and faster to test in IE6 if it’s still the
main IE on my machine.
My clients and their users aren’t going to rush out to upgrade. While smaller clients may upgrade, larger ones won’t be in such a hurry.
I cannot run IE6 and IE7 simultaneously on my machine without having one loaded in Virtual PC (or related virtual machine).
I really think Microsoft makes things difficult for web developers by
not making it straightforward to do this. Sure there are hacks to get
them to both load, but I’ve tried these and just don’t trust them like
I would a clean install.